Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

On The Anvil




As in the Shakespeare classic, yours truly too is stuck in the moral dilemma – to be or not to be. This situation becomes all the more aggravating when your personal interests stand to be at complete odds with those of your family and friends.
Yours truly comes from a long line of overachievers (excluding her immediate family of course!). It is but natural that all eyes are on every move that she makes (or does not make for that matter…). So, when it was her turn to choose a career, she was given the “valid options”– Engineering, Medicine or a career with one of the IT giants at the time. However, all the glitz and glamour of a high profile, highly paid job with any giant could not persuade her to give up on her dream to set out on her own path – a road less taken. And much to the chagrin of her parents, she chose to do a BA in Mass Communication & Journalism and further opted for a bank job.
[Taking up the job in the service sector led to many eyebrows being raised and questions asked; as there obviously were other more lucrative jobs on the offer. But then again I listened to what my heart had to say. For as the adage goes, at a later date, you regret the things you did not do more than those you did. ]
Six months into the job, I turn around today to take stock and stand at the precipice.
Inexorably, I had expected myself to excel immediately; to rise and shine in this new field. What I had overlooked was that not everyone is good at everything – it took time and effort to learn and hone skills and deliver excellence. This slight on my behalf led to quite a lot of avoidable despair. I was miserable to learn that I wasn’t meeting expectations when it had become a habit to excel. College friends who learnt of my job said “Why is the class topper stuck in a call center job?! What are you doing with your life?” Relatives (and parents) took it upon themselves to counsel me and ‘make me see sense’. Nevertheless, I had the one reason that trumped all – I love my job; love what I do and do what I love. On the other hand my average performance on the job and constant questioning from my peers had sown the seeds of reservation in my mind.
[It was at this time that I was confronted with the fact that all I needed to do was be open to learning. I needed to unlearn a few things, learn a few others; relinquish a few old habits and pick up some new ones. Needless to say, it was hard but requisite].
That is how I come to stand at crossroad of sorts: to be the nonconformist and continue on the path less trodden, stumbling and recouping or to take the easy way out, sticking to a monotonous routine which guarantees demarcated benefits and achievements.To let my heart rule as always or let my head take over.

4 comments:

  1. Well, apart from the acquisition of a few new hobbies (u knw to which ones am referring to :p ), I could as well be reading my own thoughts, albeit put across more eloquently. I envy you for having realised what it is that ur heart desires and putting in efforts to check out that avenue. I, sadly, am yet to find that yearning of my heart. Well, no other option but to wait and watch the direction in which destiny beckons. (A rather sophisticated way to say I don't knw wat the hell m doing..! )

    Love,
    Fellow Straggler

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tempted though I am to say I know what I want, sadly, it would be nothing but a blatant lie. I claim only to be doing what I like, not to know what I want :)
      And it is my belief that this not knowing is what makes your life (our lives) interesting - don't you agree?
      ;)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Touchy...but I feel you have made a mistake already. The first job you choose makes or breaks you. At least thats what I have learnt in my life. Its not too late. Find your calling and move on. Dont waste your potential. You are good with the pen. Let not money corrupt your inner self. Know this...you can run from everyone else but yourself.

    ReplyDelete